Friday, May 1, 2009

Angry Armadillo

Many years ago, on a drunken night in Guadalajara, Mexico, Scott McGill and I purchased taxidermy (what is the past tense of taxidery? is it stuffed?) Armadillos. Anyway, Julie hated me keeping it in the house so it has spent many an hour in whatever office I happened to be working in. Now that I'm working (yea, right) out of my house the Armadillo is back. Today, for the first time since I've owned him (I know it's a he because the guy who did the taxidermy work left on his weenie) I put him to good use.

I spent about 45 minutes on a side street here in South Austin shooting footage for what turned out to be "Revenge of the Armadillo". It was quiet and there was no one around. About 30 minutes in, while I was tossing the Armadillo up in the air a guy of about 40 years old, walked up (scared the crap out of me of course) and asked, "What the hell is that?". He really didn't care what I was doing out in the middle of the street with a tripod and a camcorder, he was only interested in the Armadillo. He asked if he could touch it and at first, picked it up like it might have the swine (or armadillo) flu. After a moment he said, "This is cool!" and started holding it like a baby. I didn't think to shoot footage of him so no, he won't be part of the next installment of "12 Second Movies".

Anyway, it was a fun little experiment to shoot and edit. I'm sure I'll shoot another over the weekend so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment