Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fight Night

Several weeks back we kicked off "fight night" again. It's not a class where you are taught to fight by an instructor. It's pretty much like on the job training. An experienced instructor coordinates the partnering but pretty much, it's anything goes. All stand up, hands and legs. 16 ounce gloves, shin pads, cup, mouth piece, headgear if you so desire.

So, after the first couple of weeks that I've been able to attend, what have I learned about my declining skills? A few things for sure....

#1 I'm old
#2 I'm slow
#3 I bruise easy
#4 I recover slowly
#5 After 5 rounds, two minutes seems like a lifetime
#6 My kick defenses are non existent

Thankfully, my vision is good so I can still pick out an opening or two (watch out for the big over hand left). I'm also smart....I stay away from those that are much younger and much less experienced. It keeps me from getting hurt. Damn kids these days and their head kicks!

Anyway, we're on again tonight. Ahhhh....my moment of zen begins at 7:30pm CST.

No comments:

Post a Comment